Friday, February 26, 2010

A decimetre of snow

WTF is a decimetre, you might ask...  Simple, its 10 centimetres.  My early schooling was during the change from imperial to Metric, so I was taught all about decimetres.  In the meantime, I have never actually used or seen the decimetre as a unit of measurement... until now.  Oh, the excitement!  Seriously though, I love the metric system.  Did you know a cubic decimetre has the same volume as one litre?  At that one litre of water weighs one kilogram?  Distance, volume, and mass can be related in the metric system.  Ingenious. 

Anyway, the teacher snow dance yesterday must have worked.  We have a decimetre of wet, heavy snow.  The kind that really sucks to shovel.  Our road hasn't been plowed... yet... and I'm not looking forward to it.  Its a snow day, so got to sleep in a little bit.  Main roads are fine having been plowed, or "bare and wet" as per the radio, but side roads wet, snowy and slippy.  Its funny that just a few days ago I was thinking we haven't had much snow lately.








12971

No comments:

Post a Comment