Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Hail storm


A big hail storm this afternoon. Biggest I've ever seen at least. Started with pea-sized chunks, then marble sized, then as big as the ones in my hand. I know I saw a few golf ball sized, but too chicken to retrieve any while it was ongoing. Had to leave the sunroom at the peak because the noise of them bouncing off the tin roof was unbearably loud. Loads of rain, huge claps of thunder, and half a dozen power outages. In places, the grass was covered with a layer of hail. Nice damage to the VW, I'll have to add 'dented by a million pieces of hail' to the for sale ad. My garden isn't too happy. Could smell smashed tomato plants from the sunroom, but hopefully they will survive. Orange trees at least were safe in the greenhouse. The rhubarb that wasn't sheltered by the house took the worst damage, pounded to pulp. River is up over the third step with all the rain we've had in the last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment