Thursday, August 26, 2010

I could feel her breasts

After his first swimming lesson, Leaf asked Mars what he thought of his instructors.  He said:  "I could feel her breasts".  Maybe.  He's still at that stage where he'll slur words enough that sometimes you aren't sure.  If he was 10 years older, I would definitely buy "breasts", but that isn't actually a word we tend to use. "Boobies", or in Odin's case, "Booboos", are the vernacular for mammaries in our house.  It might even be more likely he was trying to say "I could smell her breath".  Of course he wouldn't repeat or clarify his answer...

Living on the river is great, but also a constant worry with little kids.  You watch them constantly, train them to never go near without a lifejacket an a grownup, but the media has been doing a good job of fearmongering this summer.  We signed him up for swimming lessons.

My mum used to torture me.  She forcibly enrolled me in swimming lessons.  To this day, I hate swimming, I hate pools, I mostly hate water, and I hate getting wet.  I learned to swim, don't get me wrong.  In an emergency, I would have no problems.  Its just that a series of unpleasant swimming lesson related events emotionally scarred me for life.

We didn't have a huge amount of success in Mars' session of swimming lessons.  The first day he wouldn't go in past his waist.  At the end of the first week, he was proudly swimming.  If, by "swimming" you mean lying in 6 inches of water while wearing a life jacket and maintaining a death grip on a flutterboard in one hand and a pool noodle in the other, while yelling "look at me I'm swimming".

No comments:

Post a Comment